Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Sting

My struggled with migraines began almost, gulp, 20 years ago, when I was 14 years old. I remember being at play practice in the school gym. In between being on stage reciting lines, I was lying on the gym floor next to my friends, pressing my head against the floor, trying to get some relief from the the coolness of the hard wood. I had never felt such pain before. I had experienced headaches before but not like this. I felt dizzy, nauseous and my vision was blurry. I could not wait for practice to be over, which was saying a lot, I lived for Drama Club, in those days. My dad picked me up, and on the way home, we had to pull over, so I could throw up on the side of Hwy 30. And so it began...
After this, I would get migraines consistently about two or three times a month. I would always get dizzy and nauseous and vomit from them. My friends and my sister started calling me the Barf Queen. Sweet, huh? I took Excedrin, Ibuprofen, nothing helped. I just closed myself in a dark room and rode them out. Sometimes they lasted for hours; sometimes a day or so. I was young; I just kept moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment